Getting Started with the commercetools platform
If you haven’t been invited to an existing project and organization by a colleague or your IT department, you can sign up for a free, one-time 60-day trial project:
Create and Configure a Project
Once your account is created, you will be taken to the ↗ Admin Center EU or ↗ Admin Center US to configure your project. After signing up, when you enter the Admin Center for the first time, you will be asked to create a project.
Later on, you can find the new project form by
- Click on your name in the upper right corner to open the organization settings dropdown menu
- Select the respective organization
- Navigate to “Manage Projects” in the left hand menu
A project can be your online shop, e-commerce app or anything else you want to run on the commercetools platform.
Fill out all the required fields. You can change the name of the project at any time – only the project key has to remain unchanged, as it is the unique identifier.
You can directly fill the form with Basic Sample Data or do that later or with a better set of data (see below).
Once your project is initialized, you will be taken to the main Admin Center view.
Create Sample Data
Having some first data (products, general settings) is very helpful to see some results in your first e-commerce application and to give you an understanding of the platform features. You have three options, ranging from easiest to more complex:
- You can use the built-in basic sample data (instructions below)
- You can create an empty project and then import our relatively complete and free-to-test SUNRISE Data Set
- Your can create an empty project and build your own data from scratch (Tip: first start with the settings and then create a product type)
There are two ways to generate the basic sample data:
- When creating a new project, you can activate the option to add sample data
- Add sample data later on by browsing to the “Developers” area and going to the “Danger Zone”.
Once you are done, your project will contain some very basic products and general settings like taxes and countries.
Retrieve API Client Credentials
To build or integrate applications with the commercetools platform, you have to authenticate with your API credentials, which you can retrieve in the “Developer Settings” section of the Merchant Center:
when creating a new API Client:
After successful creation of the client you’ll see the credentials of the client you’ll need for retrieving the OAuth2 token. Such token has to be sent with every API request later on.
Since those credentials need to be kept confidential they are only shown once right after creation of the API client. There is no chance to reveal them afterwards for security reasons.
To save the credentials on your end, you can copy the values for
project_key to your clipboard individually or you can download them all in one. The Merchant Center provides those data in different formats, e.g., cURL, JAVA properties, PHP, iOS, Postman, and YAML. Just choose the format fitting best to your intended use case.
Launch a Hello World Application
We provide you with several tools and templates, but the fastest way to start is to use one of our “Hello API” samples. They come in several languages, such as PHP, Ruby, node.js and many more. You can download your favorite sample on our ↗ Hello API Github repository . Each sample has a config file that you need to edit. Simply add your API credentials and put the files on a local or remote webserver.
For testing purposes, you can just run the application on your local machine. Production deployments of web frontends or other components or your custom solution that use the API are hosted separately by yourself or your solution partner in a cloud or data center of your choice.
Open the URL of the application and the page will show you information about all published products within your project.
Possible next steps
- Walk through our HTTP API tutorial
- Get familiar with our API documentation
- Get to know our SDKs, SUNRISE Template Frontends and Import/Export Tools
- Learn about best practices regarding performance
Get in touch with us through our ↗ Support Portal
- Follow us on ↗ Twitter for product news and updates