Getting Started with the commercetools platform
If you haven’t been invited to an existing project and organization by a colleague or your IT department you can sign up yourself for a free trial.
Create and Configure a Project
Once your account is created, you will be taken into the ↗ Admin Center EU or ↗ Admin Center US ) to configure your project. When you enter the Admin Center for the first time after signing up you will be asked to create a project.
Later on, you find the new project form by
- Clicking your name on the upper right corner to open the organizations dropdown
- Then select the organization
- Navigate to “Manage Projects” in the left menu
A project can be your online shop, e-commerce app or anything else you want to run on the commercetools platform.
Fill out all required fields. You can change the name of the project at any time – only the project key has to stay as it is the unique identifier.
You can directly fill with Basic Sample Data or do that later or with a better data set (see below).
After your project is initialized, you will be taken to the main Admin Center view.
Create Sample Data
Having some first data (products, general settings) is very helpful to see some results in your first e-commerce application and underastand the platform features. You have three options, ranging from easiest to more complex:
- You can use the built-in basic sample data (instructions below)
- You can create an empty project and then import our relatively complete and free-to-test SURNISE Data Set
- Your can create an empty project and build your own data from scratch (Tip: start with the settings and then create a product type first)
There are two ways to generate the basic sample data:
- When creating a new project, you can activate the option to add sample data
- Add sample data later on by browsing to the “Developers” area and go to “Danger Zone”.
Once you are done, your project will contain some very basic products and general settings like taxes and countries.
Retrieve API Client Keys
To build or integrate applications with the commercetools platform, you have to authenticate with your API Keys that you retrieve in the “Developers” section. Click on “API Clients” to get all information you need.
Launch a Hello World Application
We provide you with several tools and templates, but the fastest way to start is to use one of our “Hello API” samples. They come in several languages like PHP, Ruby, node.js and many more. You can download your favorite sample on our ↗ Hello API Github repository . Each sample has a config file that you need to edit. Simply add your API credentials and put the files on a local or remote webserver.
For testing purposes you can just run the application on your local machine. Production deployments of web frontends or other components or your custom solution that use the API are hosted separately by yorself or your solution partner in any cloud or data center you choose.
Open the URL of the application and the page will show you information about all published products within your project.
Possible next steps
- Walk through our HTTP API tutorial
- Get familiar with our API documentation
- Meet our SDKs, SUNRISE Template frontends and Import/Export Tools
Get in touch with us and our ↗ Support Portal
- Follow us on ↗ Twitter for product news and updates