Change History (Beta)
Change history log
Note: The Change history feature is currently not available on our AWS Regions.
Note: This feature is marked as beta and may be affected by changes. Use with caution for production.
The Change history log provides you a historical log of the entity activities on the commercetools platform. After you have activated the Change history log, creation, deletion, and update events for supported entities will be stored. You can view and track the data in the Change history table view in the Merchant Center. This helps you to:
track and review changes made to a project, for example, for security auditing
determine what entities are most interacted with by customers and platform users
identify usage patterns, for example, to figure out if additional training is required.
The following entity types are currently supported:
- Cart discount
- Customer group
- Discount code
- Product discount
- Product type
- Shopping list
- Tax category
Installation and activation
If you want to install and activate the Change history log please send a request to our Support Portal.
The Change history table is visible to all users when enabled, but the table will only display entity changes to a permitted user. Depending upon individual user permissions, some information may be excluded from view.
Note: User Permissions are usually set by your company’s manager of this project.
If you want to activate or deactivate the Change history table view:
- Click the Settings icon in the Merchant Center main menu.
- Click Custom Applications.
- Click the pencil icon on the Change history card.
- Switch the status toggle to the desired state.
- Click Confirm.
Note: After deactivation of the Change history view, the receipt of events will still be logged and available unless the Change history app is uninstalled.
Deactivation and data deletion
If you want to uninstall the Change history app and delete the tracked data please send a request to our Support Portal.
Note: Once deleted, all historic data is permanently lost.
Change history table
To access the Change history table view click the respective icon in the Merchant Center main menu.
By default, the Change history table displays the latest events at the top. It is generated at time of page load and not automatically refreshed. Please click the Refresh icon in the upper left of the screen to update the visible data. You can configure the columns in visibility and order.
Change Table columns
The available columns are:
- User – Provides information on the user making the entity change:
- Merchant Center user name is displayed when using Merchant Center to drive changes
- IMPEX is displayed when using IMPEX to drive changes
- ExternalUserIDstring is displayed when an API client has applied the changes” and the ExternalUserID string in the CreatedBy and/or LastModifiedBy API fields is populated (see externalUserId Field Description).
- Out of the platform is displayed when using an API client to drive changes and no value was added to the ExternalUserID string
- Customer – Provides information about the customer making the change:
- Customer email address is displayed when using an API client to drive changes and the customer field in the CreatedBy and/or LastModifiedBy API fields is populated (see customer Field Description).
- Anonymus session is displayed when the customer does not login into their account, for example, using guest checkout
- —– is displayed when no information is available
- Customer deleted is displayed when an API client applies changes and the customer field in the CreatedBy and/or LastModifiedBy API fields is populated, but for any reason the customer was deleted after the event got logged
Last Modified – Displays the date and timestamp of the modification along with the taken action: Create, Remove or Update.
Change Log – Lists the entity modifications along with the changed values
Current Entity – To show the details of the current version of the modified entity, click the entity. By clicking the filter icon next to the current entity, the changes of the selected entity will be displayed exclusively.
- Source – Name of the application or client used to drive the change:
- Merchant Center
- API Client Name – Name set during the creation of an API Client
- API Client Not Available: This is displayed when using an API client to drive changes and a valid name is not provided
- Created Entity – Displays the version of the entity before and after the change.
Note: Depending upon your specific table settings, not all columns may be visible in the table view.
Modify Table view
To add or remove table columns, select the Column manager from the Table settings drop down menu in the upper right corner of the screen.
You can drag and drop the columns from hidden to visible. Additionally, you can reorder the visible columns by dragging and dropping the entries. To save the Table view changes click Save settings. To return to the Table view without changes click Cancel.
Modify Table layout
To modify the table layout, select Display settings from the Table settings drop down.
You can change here the text visibility and the density of the displayed rows. To confirm the changes click Save settings. To discard your changes click Cancel.
Change Table Filtering
Change History is an aggregation of all changes made over the project. As such, it can grow to be very large. To improve usability, we have built in two methods of filtering content: time filtering and column filtering.
- Time filtering:
By default, the Change Table filters to the past 30 days worth of resource changes. To change the time range click the drop down in the upper right of the screen. Select one of the options:
- Last 7 days
- Last 30 days
- Custom date range
Column filtering: To filter individually click the filter icon in the upper left and select in the Add filter drop down one of the available filters.
You can add and remove the following filters individually or in combination:
- Source: Select one of the supported sources
- Merchant Center
- Out of platform (API client)
- Entity type: Select one of the supported entities
- Type of changes: Select the type of entity change
- Changes: Select an entity first, in the second step select the related change or action you want to filter on
- User: Select the name of the user you want to filter on
- API Client: Select the API Client you want to filter on
- Source: Select one of the supported sources
Note: To remove all filters click Clear all.